guix-devel

Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 21:47:21 +0200

Hi,

since rust does not support anything like static or dynamic libraries, building (intermediate) crates is useless like a hole in my head. Any output on any intermediate crate will just be thrown away.

Often, when new rust package definitions are submitted at guix-
patches@, I see #:skip-build? #false.  Apparently it's added by default
in (guix import cargo), with some exceptions.
The idea behind is to have #:skip-buiild #f for all "top level" crates, which are assumed to be programs. Thus, only crates imported recursively will get get #:skip-buiild #t. If one imports a single crate, it well get #:skip-buiild #f — which is what you experience.

   However, ‘(guix)Rust
Crates’ states:

    Care should be taken to ensure the correct version of dependencies
are used; to this end we try to refrain from skipping the tests or
using ‘#:skip-build?’ when possible. Of course this is not always
possible [...]

This text is from 2020-02-17 (written by Effraim) and predates 269c1db41bd8 (committed 2020-12-02).

While I understand the intention of this, I'm not convinces about it. Primary this will lead to a huge wast of time and electrical power - just to trash the results. This will not only effect our own build farm, but also each user.

Please be aware, that with #:skip-buiild #t, every crate will be build again by every other crate using it. So if crate AA is used by B1 and B2 and C1 depends on B1 and B2, AA will be build 4 times!

As such, WDYT of removing #:skip-build? #false from (guix import
crate)?  FWIW, this was added in commit

I would propose the opposite: Keep it and make #t the default.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |