guix-devel

Re: Dealing with upstream issues

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Dealing with upstream issues
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:53:21 +0200

Hi,

Well, from my understanding, there is mismatches between “review
process”, “adoption in Guix” and “fix upstream”.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 12:10, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

>> AFAICT the issues have not been reported upstream yet, so I don't think
>> we can close this entry on debbugs yet.  While I'd like for downstream
>> packaging to be trivial, the sad reality is that sometimes is not the
>> case, the issues are still there and need to be resolved somehow (fixed
>> downstream or upstream, or reported upstream).

Maybe I misunderstand the point.  To me, the aim of the package
submission is the inclusion in Guix.  AFAIK, the Guix project is not
applying any standard audit on the upstream code before inclusion.

Therefore, if the upstream code is poor in some areas, then it is not
blocking for the package adoption in Guix…

>> If not by the new downstream packager that submitted the patch, then by
>> the the one committing the patch, or by a reviewer, or by some more
>> neboluous role of a random Guix contributor, or in some exceptional
>> cases the issue could be considered ‘too difficult and not too bad’
>> with some corresponding reasoning.  (It's most efficient if the
>> reporting or fixing is done directly by the submitter, but if the
>> submitter can't do it for whatever reason, then surely something can
>> eventually be worked out by other people, albeit more slowly.)
>>
>> However, AFAICT, none of that has happened yet.

…and such adoption does not mean the upstream quality cannot be
improved, by reporting or add a patch.

> My view is that such issues should be reported upstream but cannot alone
> block package adoption in Guix.

I agree; we cannot fix the world. ;-) In the case of patch#55541, the
issues of cross-compilation can be reported directly to upstream and
another Debbugs number could be open.

Cheers,
simon