guix-devel

Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?

From: Declan Tsien
Subject: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:10:51 +0800

I believe LanguageTool[1] is a Java project using Maven as it's building
tool.

Lazy me. Instead of digging the mailing list and source code which would
cost too much time and may not work out. I packaged the binary
distribution (jar files) using =copy-build-system= which I am trying to
get it merged into Nonguix[2] in case someone else also wants it.

So my questions would be:

1: What is the current status of maven-build-system? Is it capable of
building a package like this[3]?

2: Also, I don't see =guix import= has support for maven. Does that mean
we have to manually write a package definition for every dependency if
it wasn't included in Guix yet?

3: If =maven-build-system= is capable of building a package like this,
would someone like to tackle packaging =LanguageTool= from source?

1: https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool
2:
https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/-/merge_requests/226#note_1147169576
3: https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/blob/master/pom.xml