guix-devel

Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 07:06:45 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 26.10.2022 um 07:56 +0800 schrieb Declan Tsien:
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:
>

> > There's no importer and an importer would be a bit limited as it
> > won't be able to get proper sources most of tge tine, though
> > importing the dependency graph would be useful already. Would you
> > like to give it a try? :)
> >

> Can you elaborate on this? How can I import the dependency graph if
> there is no importer? I very much like to try it out when I am bored
> at home.
What Julien means is that if you were trying to write an importer,
you'd end up writing one that produces something like this

  (define-public java-language-tool
     (package
       (name "java-language-tool")
       (version "6.0")
       (source this-thing-raises-an-error)
       (inputs (list java-commons-cli ...))
       (native-inputs (list java-junit ...))
       ...))

  (define-public java-commons-cli
     (package
        (name "java-commons-cli")
        (version some-version)
        (source this-thing-raises-an-error)
        ...))

In other words, you won't be able to actually build language-tool until
you insert proper sources in all the source fields – which Julien fears
maven, being a binary distribution system first and foremost, won't
deliver on its own.

Cheers