guix-devel

Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:30:51 +0200

Le 25 octobre 2022 04:10:51 GMT+02:00, Declan Tsien <declantsien@riseup.net> a
écrit :

>I believe LanguageTool[1] is a Java project using Maven as it's building
>tool.
>
>Lazy me. Instead of digging the mailing list and source code which would
>cost too much time and may not work out. I packaged the binary
>distribution (jar files) using =copy-build-system= which I am trying to
>get it merged into Nonguix[2] in case someone else also wants it.
>
>So my questions would be:
>
>1: What is the current status of maven-build-system? Is it capable of
>building a package like this[3]?

It's working fine, but most packages are still lacking a lot of dependencies,
including some maven plugins

>2: Also, I don't see =guix import= has support for maven. Does that mean
>we have to manually write a package definition for every dependency if
>it wasn't included in Guix yet?

There's no importer and an importer would be a bit limited as it won't be able
to get proper sources most of tge tine, though importing the dependency graph
would be useful already. Would you like to give it a try? :)

>3: If =maven-build-system= is capable of building a package like this,
>would someone like to tackle packaging =LanguageTool= from source?

Like I said, the biggest issue would be number of packages, and maybe bug fixes
as we currently have only one package using the maven-build-system.