guix-devel

Re: 01/03: gnu: wxwidgets: Add libxtst to inputs.

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: 01/03: gnu: wxwidgets: Add libxtst to inputs.
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:25:49 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:
>
>> guix-commits@gnu.org writes:
>>
>>> apteryx pushed a commit to branch master
>>> in repository guix.
>>>
>>> commit ec9f15b158300da3a77ce02cd2267222f435e80f
>>> Author: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
>>> AuthorDate: Tue Jun 6 12:12:40 2023 -0400
>>>
>>>     gnu: wxwidgets: Add libxtst to inputs.
>>>
>>>     WxWidgets was already built with XTest support, but mostly by luck, via
>>>     propagation of libxtst from GTK's propagated at-spi2-core package.
>>> Make it an
>>>     explicit input.
>>>
>>>     * gnu/packages/wxwidgets.scm (wxwidgets) [inputs]: Add libxtst.
>>> ---
>>>  gnu/packages/wxwidgets.scm | 1 +
>>>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>>
>> Did this need to go straight to the master branch?
>>
>> → guix refresh -l wxwidgets
>> Building the following 217 packages would ensure 456 dependent packages are
>> rebuilt: ...
>>
>> That to me says this should go to staging.
>
> Correct.  Except there's no staging branch anymore.  I guess we should
> create one?  :-)

You're the second person to mention this. I guess I view the branch not
existing as a minor technical detail that doesn't really change what
you'd do.

Maybe we need to do more in the guidance to reassure people though, you
should still push to a branch if that's what you should do, even if that
branch doesn't currently exist on the remote. This situation will
probably come up more often in the case of team branches.