guix-devel

Re: Rebasing or merging? [was: Re: 01/03: gnu: wxwidgets: Add libxtst to

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Rebasing or merging? [was: Re: 01/03: gnu: wxwidgets: Add libxtst to inputs.]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:13:26 +0200

Hello,

Am Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 06:10:37PM -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> That was probably a misunderstanding. I meant to suggest with some
> trepidation that 'master' is merged into the feature branch, and then
> the feature branch is merged back into 'master'. I thought the two
> merge commits would be signed by the person performing the merges
> while the "origin seal" of the accepted change is also preserved.

indeed, that is what we had been doing with the very long lived staging
and core-updates branches in the past. Well, we used to repeatedly merge
the master branch to core-updates, which if I remember well makes the
master commits end up first in "git log". So the core-updates specific
commits gradually disappear below thousands of master commits. So this is
a problem.

But Maxim is right about signatures, sorry for forgetting them time and
again!

One policy would be to *not* merge master back to the feature branch
(or maybe just before merging the feature branch to master). This would
work well for short-lived branches.

Andreas