guix-devel

Re: poetry not building

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: poetry not building
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:28:03 -0700

[dropped the bug from cc]

Hi Reza,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 12:07 AM Reza Housseini
<reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is missing to apply this patch and how
> can I help?

I really hope someone responds to you, but in the meantime you could
set up your own copy of Guix. It's an elegant way to stop begging,
which I stopped doing because I find it demeaning.

More importantly, setting up your own Guix would allow you to test the
proposed patch set, which is quite large. After some time, you can
report your experience to the bug. That might provide a measure of
comfort to anyone who would like to help you but is deterred by the
fear of making a mistake. Reviewers have lives.

As a result, the adoption of the patch set becomes more likely.

An additional benefit is that you could pin your own branch to a
commit on master that works for you. For example, you could branch off
of my "prebuilt" branch. [1] It follows "master," but with a delay in
hope of maximizing substitute availability. I also try to sidestep
temporary or unresolved quirks like this one [2] which can make it
impossible to reconfigure your system or your home.

It may be a rational choice depending on your set of personal constraints.

All you have to do is fork my Guix mirror on Codeberg and checkout the
"prebuilt" branch. Please create a copy called "reza-experimental" and
apply the patch series above. Then push the branch to Codeberg.

Next, you would add your custom channel to your personal setup. Here
is how I do that with Guix Home. [3] Then do a 'guix pull
--disable-authentication --allow-downgrades' (potentially followed by
a 'rehash guix') and voilà, you are running your own copy of Guix!

Happy hacking & power to the people!
Felix

[1] https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix/src/branch/prebuilt
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-06/msg00082.html