guix-devel

Re: poetry not building

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: poetry not building
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:52:04 +0200

Hi Felix

Thanks for your reply.
I really hope someone responds to you, but in the meantime you could
set up your own copy of Guix. It's an elegant way to stop begging,
which I stopped doing because I find it demeaning.

I was not begging only posing a simple question. This is a misunderstanding on your side.

More importantly, setting up your own Guix would allow you to test the
proposed patch set, which is quite large. After some time, you can
report your experience to the bug. That might provide a measure of
comfort to anyone who would like to help you but is deterred by the
fear of making a mistake. Reviewers have lives.

I already tested parts of the patch set, I was never at any point demanding the reviewers to work on this patch asap.

As a result, the adoption of the patch set becomes more likely.

An additional benefit is that you could pin your own branch to a
commit on master that works for you. For example, you could branch off
of my "prebuilt" branch. [1] It follows "master," but with a delay in
hope of maximizing substitute availability. I also try to sidestep
temporary or unresolved quirks like this one [2] which can make it
impossible to reconfigure your system or your home.

It may be a rational choice depending on your set of personal constraints.

I'm playing with the idea of doing that for a while now, but I fear this adds another layer of complexity I'm not prepared to handle right now.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Cheers,
Reza

--
Reza Housseini

This message is signed with my GnuPG key:

    C0F3 0812 9AF2 80F4 0830 C2C1 C375 C6AF 0512 5C52