gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Background

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Background
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:04:33 +0200

Hi Matti,

no time to reply in detail (have to go to school), but--

Matti Katila wrote:

This leads to some problems:
  -A view can't have an image on background
-It isn't easy to change the color of a specified view because the color isn't an attribute of the view.

I think this is the point that needs discussing first: Why would we want to change the bg color of one view specifically? So far we're using bg colors to distinguish windows-- in the LightColorScheme, windows' bg colors match the color of windows' cursors, because I have found in practice (not from research, but explanations to Gzz users) that the relationship between the cursors and their windows is not clear to many people, so I thought it may help if I can say, "green cursor--green window; blue cursor--blue window, see?" Additionally, we have used bg color as a mode indicator, rendering a white background when in text edit mode, because many people got lost and didn't know what was going on (they entered text when they wanted to move around in zzspace).

I don't see that specifying the bg color per window is particularly useful. I agree that some views might want to customize the bg color, but I don't think that holds for most.

Additionally, there won't be so few instances of views around eventually-- Gzz 0.6 went up to something like 20 to 30 different views, and if Gzz ever becomes popular, I'd estimate we have much more than that. From that perspective, putting the bg colors in the views doesn't seem elegant either.

I'd propose keeping the bg information in the Fallback.Win by default, and make it create a bg vob for each vobscene, which the view can optionally override somehow (maybe simply by placing another bg vob in coordsys 0 in the vob scene). As Tuomas said earlier, this also allows having an image on the background. But the point here is that we don't agree on your second assumption of what is a problem, above-- could you elaborate why you want this?

- Benja