gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Background

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Background
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:37:53 +0300

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:51:42AM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >>It is the "beginning." It *does* get depth-sorted.
> >>
> >>The depth sorter is per coordsys: first the coordsys is drawn, then all
> >>coordsys inside it in depth order, then the next coordsys inside the
> >>same parent.
> >
> >Except of course there is again a problem: that's not how
> >OpenGL does it. In OpenGL, the vobs are *ALWAYS* rendered in exactly
> >the order they were placed in.
> >

> Are you saying that OpenGL vobs shouldn't have the behavior outlined
> above? I think that would be a bad idea. Or are you saying that it
> should, but currently doesn't?

I'm saying that the ordering of drawing different things is different
between OpenGL and AWT for two important reasons:

        - AWT doesn't have a depth buffer, have to draw back to front
        - OpenGL has all kinds of funny modes and it's a LOT faster
          to draw the same kinds of things at the same time; and also
          it's good to allow the user to set and reset modes at whim.

Because of these, the behaviour you outline above would have to be
special-cased. Which might not be good.

Maybe we should have a special "start" and "end" coordsys?

        Tuomas