gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Background

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Background
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:52:36 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

I'm saying that the ordering of drawing different things is different
between OpenGL and AWT for two important reasons:

        - AWT doesn't have a depth buffer, have to draw back to front
        - OpenGL has all kinds of funny modes and it's a LOT faster
          to draw the same kinds of things at the same time; and also
          it's good to allow the user to set and reset modes at whim.

Ah, moment, maybe there was a misunderstanding. I'm not saying that OpenGL should draw vobs in any particular order: I'm saying that the end result on the screen should look like in AWT. I.e., let's say you have overlapping cells two cells, A and B:

+-------+
      +-------+

In these cells, you should see the content of A over the background of A over the content of B over the background of B. You do not, for example, want to see the content of B shown over the background of A. This is what I care about, not warping OpenGL to draw things with the algorithm AWT uses ;-)

- Benja