gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 9th (jvk)

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 9th (jvk)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:32:40 +0300

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 06:14:37PM +0300, Janne Kujala wrote:
> 9th: Mostly libpaper work
>
> Added "vertex" entry point to PaperPass, allowing
> nonlinear custom mapping between object and paper coordinates.
>
> Only simple TexGens are currently supported.
>
> For EmbossTexGen, there are some questions:
>       - should we distort the paper or the lighted image of the paper?

Either: the point was that you can pass lighting coordinates for
each point as well, if desired. If none are passed, then just
distort lighted image.

>       - can I assume that the paper is still flat?

No, but that is taken care for lighting by the above answer.

>       - how will the application compute the object and paper
>         coordinates -- what kind of derivates (for the local
>         linearization) can be expected to be easily computable?

Ouch. That's a nasty one. For the simple case, assuming distortion of
lighted image, this is not a problem. However, for distortion, the
derivatives do need to be passed.

You can make the more complicated call a placeholder for now, we won't
need that for the demos.

        Tuomas