gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 29th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (hh)

From: hemppah
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 29th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (hh)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:36:55 +0200

Quoting "B. Fallenstein" <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> address@hidden wrote:
> > -Started looking for information about "Gnutella++": hybrid system, where
> DHTs
> > and Gnutella-like approaches are merged. Or to be more specific: system,
> which
> > has efficient routing algorithm (comparable to DHTs), and in which users
> are
> > able to host resources locally (instead of mapping resources away from
> local
> > computer into the virtual address space)
>
> I don't understand this. What do you mean by 'mapping resources away
> from local computer into the virtual address space', and how can it be
> avoided?

This was what I meant:

There is a DHT based approach taken by e.g. Chord and CAN; in these approaches
values are stored at the nodes with identities "closest" to the key for the
(hash) value. Furthemore, if services are put on the computer that hosts the
corresponding key-value pair, the key-to-node mapping still means that this
computer is generally not owned by the user who decided to provide the
service(the value) to the network.

On the other, in SWAN approach, each key-value pair can be hosted anywhere as
the *key-value* pairs self-organise in a virtual look-up network. Key-value
pairs can therefore be hosted on a computer owned by the user (or on other
computers, which user has chosen) that actually wants to host the corresponding
service (value).

Hope this helps :).

-Hermanni