gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 29th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (hh)

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 29th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (hh)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:43:19 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Quoting "B. Fallenstein" <address@hidden>:

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:

-Started looking for information about "Gnutella++": hybrid system, where

DHTs

and Gnutella-like approaches are merged. Or to be more specific: system,

which

has efficient routing algorithm (comparable to DHTs), and in which users

are

able to host resources locally (instead of mapping resources away from

local

computer into the virtual address space)

I don't understand this. What do you mean by 'mapping resources away from local computer into the virtual address space', and how can it be avoided?

This was what I meant:

There is a DHT based approach taken by e.g. Chord and CAN; in these approaches
values are stored at the nodes with identities "closest" to the key for the
(hash) value. Furthemore, if services are put on the computer that hosts the
corresponding key-value pair, the key-to-node mapping still means that this
computer is generally not owned by the user who decided to provide the
service(the value) to the network.

Hmmm. I think I don't understand well enough-- my initial reaction is, "why bother? would that be worth it?", but I should really understand first. What should I read?

What problems is this intended to solve? It seems like storing key/value pairs from other systems shouldn't be much of a problem, really... much less than routing requests for other systems, it seems at first glance (and the approach above doesn't get rid of routing requests as far as I can see.)

On the other, in SWAN approach, each key-value pair can be hosted anywhere as
the *key-value* pairs self-organise in a virtual look-up network. Key-value
pairs can therefore be hosted on a computer owned by the user (or on other
computers, which user has chosen) that actually wants to host the corresponding
service (value).

Hey, the stuff I quoted was about Gnutella++, not SWAN! Anyway ;-)

- Benja