gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:37:49 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
No, this is still somewhat missing the point.

Ok, I want to say I want all RFCs to always be on my machine so that if I go out
with the laptop I have them there.

Some systems, such as DHTs cannot let other people use this "mirror" because
the files are not in the location the DHT would place them in.

So if we think about a 5GB / 100MB split between my mirrored data / DHT area (which is quite reasonable), most of the potential capacity in the network
is not getting used!

I don't understand at all. As I have been so adamant about in my
statements to hemppah, the DHT is for *locating* the data in the
network. Your machine would, when going online, place into the DHT
mappings (blockid -> your-ip-address), so if any computer tries to
download the RFCs, they would in the DHT get your machine's address, and
then contact your machine to download from there. Just like in Napster,
only the *search* phase is different. I cannot see what would stop your
data from being used.

- Benja