gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 21:49:19 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
Some systems, such as DHTs cannot let other people use this "mirror" because
the files are not in the location the DHT would place them in.

So if we think about a 5GB / 100MB split between my mirrored data / DHT area (which is quite reasonable), most of the potential capacity in the network
is not getting used!

I don't understand at all. As I have been so adamant about in my
statements to hemppah, the DHT is for *locating* the data in the
network.

No, that raises entirely different set of issues.

An entirely different set of issues than what?

Your machine would, when going online, place into the DHT
mappings (blockid -> your-ip-address), so if any computer tries to
download the RFCs, they would in the DHT get your machine's address, and
then contact your machine to download from there.

The problem is that this puts in more steps to the algorithm and makes it MUCH more vulnerable to attacks: simply placing bogus data will be a pretty
good attack.

More vulnerable to attacks than what?

Are you *seriously* suggesting that the DHT should store the actual blocks?

What I'm seriously saying is that
1) DHT storing the actual blocks is
        + pretty well understood

Pointers?

There are loads of p2p systems with a location step and a download step in actual use (Napster, Gnutella, Kazaa, eDonkey, Overnet, Circle...); some of them are based on DHTs. I don't know any off the top of my head that are storing the files as DHT values, and no research projects, either.

        + quite efficient, robust and not too attackable

Efficient? I've just joined the network, please push the 100MB of data I'm supposed to host on my machine down my 56k link.

Not too attackable? Please store this 5TB block for me, your node is responsible for its key.

- Benja