gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:14:33 +0200

> >1) DHT storing the actual blocks is
> >     + pretty well understood
>
> Pointers?
>
> There are loads of p2p systems with a location step and a download step
> in actual use (Napster, Gnutella, Kazaa, eDonkey, Overnet, Circle...);
> some of them are based on DHTs. I don't know any off the top of my head
> that are storing the files as DHT values, and no research projects, either.

DHT storing the *data*.

Note that the ones you mention above seem to be pretty unstable.

> >     + quite efficient, robust and not too attackable
>
> Efficient? I've just joined the network, please push the 100MB of data
> I'm supposed to host on my machine down my 56k link.

?? This would of course happen incrementally.

> Not too attackable? Please store this 5TB block for me, your node is
> responsible for its key.

If there are different hashes of the keys, this shouldn't be a problem.

The thing I'm looking for is some guarantees about performance. For DHTs,
they seem to be there, but for DHT + IP-based fetch I don't think so.

Or can you point me somewhere where that has been analyzed?

        Tuomas