gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/Documentation/misc/mindmap tech.rst

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/Documentation/misc/mindmap tech.rst
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:38:46 +0200

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 02:21:03AM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Asko Soukka wrote:
> > I do want some kind of spatial model, because I can't deny that spatial
> > ordering of things is quite an important aspect in mind maps. But how to
> > avoid the problem of an euclidean area and positioning things with
> > absolute coordinates you mentioned? I have thinked about applitude
> > specific metadata for placing cells relatively to their neighbours.
>
> Hmm... maybe applitude spesific metadata for placing cells relatively to
> their applitude's default positions would be simpler. Applitude
> simply stores X and Y values how much user has placed/dragged the cell
> apart from the place applitude (or should I speak about applitude's view?)
> would have automatically (e.g. when operating with keyboard) placed it.
> When cell has been dragged far enough from its place, the structure might
> be modified: e.g. cell switches places with some other cell, or is moved
> totally to different rank. I'm aiming to direct manipulation. It won't be
> simple, but at least I should try it :)

One idea I've been toying with (ask jvk about the "puzzle view"), includes
having different forces act on pieces of several papers:

        - forces that bind the paper together
        - forces that bind structurally significant things close to each other:
            - links within a paper
            - linked-to locations

To this we could add

        - forces that hold things in relation to something else that the user
wanted.

The idea is then to allow simple analog adjustment of the forces, e.g. with
joystick
throttle.

        Tuomas