gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] xupdf

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] xupdf
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:33:02 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
Next, the user interface adjustments. Benja: what parts of text notes, cells &c
did
you already implement?

Making links, between an arbitrary mix of page and text spans; showing text cells when linked to. It was all rather hackish as I recall, though.

Making a link between pdfs works like this:

- Mark the from-set:
  - Paint a selection with the mouse.
  - Hit 'm' to mark it.
- Go to the to-set:
  - Go to where you want to make the link to.
  - Paint a selection with the mouse.
- Hit Ctrl-L.

For text cells, it works like this:

- Mark the from-set:
  - Go to a cell.
  - Hit 'm' to mark it.
- Go to the to-set:
  - Simply go to the cell.
- Hit Ctrl-L.

You can make links between pdfs and text cells by mixing the "Mark the from-set" and "Go to the to-set" alternatives above.

Currently this is all quite clumsy, but I think I can fix it (when I have time -> currently working on Storm article). I'd suggest that for now, you check that the above still works, and if so, you start improving on the way text cells are shown by xubuoy (this needs work and is the area where I can help least).

What should we aim for: should we try to incorporate spatial (pp) features into
this?

You were the one who said not to add things we don't have already. :-)
I think linking between PDF and text is enough, anyway.

- Benja