gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] xupdf

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] xupdf
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:01:06 +0200

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:42:23PM +0200, Matti Katila wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > Hi, now it seems that the texture lazy loading and caching is working -
> > please test.
>
> Someone needs to find the bug which dumps my xupdf first ;)

Like I said, does PaperQuad put stuff on stack still? Might be just that.

> > What should we aim for: should we try to incorporate spatial (pp) features
> > into this?
>
> Can you be more specific? Like text writing?

The canvas and user texts on it -model.

> Jump to different subject - can we profile what we see in view. Pp isn't
> very usable after few links anymore because it's very much too slow in my
> machine. I think our testers report also very soon that it's too slow
> since they have 600MHz computer there. Can we profile out the bad parts
> of rendering?

There are several ways of attacking this problem; unfortunately, profiling
is one we don't have. This is because OpenGL rendering is asynchronous.

The thing to do would probably be to
1) use GLScreen.timeRender to time the rendering of a given vobscene
2) start changing things, to see what the problem is.
        - change resolution down / up. If that changes the speed much, then
          you have a fill rate problem.
        - remove parts of the scene, see what causes the greatest slowdown

In OpenGL it can be quite easy to get a LOT of speedup because the drivers
are optimized for certain paths and if we can keep to them, things will be nice.

        Tuomas