gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] ``canon3_file_format``: A canonical, N3-based file format

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] ``canon3_file_format``: A canonical, N3-based file format
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:27:08 +0300

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:11:47PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >>The ``NEWLINE`` token may be any of CR, LF, and CRLF.
> >>(This is necessary for CVS to be useful across platforms.)
> >>In contexts where the specific form used matters,
> >>the newline character is LF. (In particular, when computing
> >>a content hash-- e.g., when creating a Canon3 Storm block.)
> >
> >This is just asking for trouble!
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> If we want to use it with CVS, requiring LF would mean that the files
> would have to be added as binary; AFAIK CVS wouldn't do diffing then.

Ahh, right.

Hmm - maybe should have different subformats: strict and non-strict:
strict which is absolutely specified, and non-strict which is used for CVS?

> >>The triples must be ordered.
> >
> >Capitalize "must" ;)
>
> Which definition do you want to use?

RFC one?

> >>Two triples are compared
> >>by comparing their subjects, properties, and objects
> >>in this order. Each of these parts is compared
> >>as follows:
> >>
> >>- Literals are lower than (go before) URIrefs,
> >> which go before anonymous nodes.
> >
> >??????
>
> What's the question?

Strange - I misread that as

> >>- Literals are lower than (go before) URIrefs,
> >> which go before anything else.

Really strange.

Anyway, might make sense to unconvolve the sentence:
First Literals, then URIrefs, and finally anonymous nodes.

> >>- URIrefs are compared character-by-character,
> >> in the form as defined in [RFC 2396]
> >> (i.e., *after* Unicode characters outside
> >> the ASCII range have been escaped).
> >> Characters are compared by Unicode code point
> >> value.
> >
> >Is this the same as a lexicographic string comparison
> >of the UTF-8 encoded one?
>
> I don't know.

Need to explain how to compare. I couldn't write a program yet.

        Tuomas