gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] SCUMM, PUI and FenPDF

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] SCUMM, PUI and FenPDF
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:37:28 +0300 (EEST)

Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> I have to say that I dislike this idea. Modes are usually bad, especially
> at such a central thing.
> A changed mouse cursor shape just makes people feel weird, unless
> it's directly associated with something they do.

LucasArts used this concept in their adventure games after famous SCUMM
interface. I remember seen it at least in the classics like "Sam and Max
hit the road", "Day of the tentacle" and "Full throttle".

In SCUMM there was list of verbs at the bottom of screen. Actions
were performed by selecting the verb from the list and object from the
screen.

In this concept the verb list was replaced with a set of different mouse
cursors: one "descriptive" multicolor cursor for every action. The set of
cursors was browsed through (== selecting a verb for action) by clicking
the right mouse button and action was performed by clicking the left mouse
button.

--
Asko Soukka <address@hidden>
<http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/>