gzz-dev

[Gzz] PEG: canvas_text--mudyc

From: Matti Katila
Subject: [Gzz] PEG: canvas_text--mudyc
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 03:39:45 +0300 (EEST)

** Please comment grammar and other issues after semveb article

``canvas_text--mudyc``: Spatial canvas text enchaments

:Author:        Matti Katila
:Date:          2003-05-02
:Stakeholders:
:Revision:      $Revision: 1.1 $
:Last-Modified: $Date: 2003/05/02 00:25:32 $
:Type:          User Interface, Spatial canvas RDF structure, Text format

.. contents::

I do like to see improvements in text editing/handling in
spatial canvases. Current model is based on pp's way
to handle text and that is too limited even for pp.
There are at least three disagreeing circumtances:
wysiwyg, text editability, spatial positions.
This enchament propouse is meant to be compromise of
these three circumtances for our own best.

Issues
------

- If we generate rst to pdf does it brake the
  xanalogical link doesn't it?

    RESOLVED:
    Yes, if we *replace* the text canvas with
    page canvas. Currently idea is to use pdfs from outside
    and annotate those. So the question is why can't we
    build a new article from annotations and link xanalogically
    the annotation canvas to pdf generated from it?

- Would Nile like text editability be too complex for pp?

    RESOLVED:
    Yes and no. Word/Sentence/Paragraph modes would not be
    set by default. Paragraph thinking already solves much
    of the current problems of pp text editability also.

RST as a inspirer
-----------------

I do like very much of reStructuredText philosophy.
It is very handly to edit in *text mode* but of course
looks fine in *generated mode* where we are used to
read it. Normally you can't edit text in the generated
mode but I see this as a lack. At least I usually would
like to edit typos found in generated text.

Nile as a inspirer
------------------

As discussed with Asko about rst like canvases he quite
fast informed me about Nile. After looking to Nile I
needed to come back to design board. Yes, we absolutely
need nodes or words, sentences and paragraphs as a primitives.

What's it all about?
--------------------

This proposal is all about:

    - spatial placing of different paragraphs into one canvas.
    - one paragraph includes sentences one after the other.
    - sentence includes nodes(as words) one after the other.

Goal
----

The first goal for FenPDF and PP is text editability good enough
and spatial placing for text - both of these as soon as possible.

Future goal

RST generating of text build up of the paragraphs placed on canvas.
One issue would be how text format is handled and does this proposal
approach it in different manner.

PDF generating from rst converted to latex. This would make FenPDF
also as a article productive wholeness.