gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG: utf8

From: Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG: utf8
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:03:51 +0300

On 20030515T074958+0300, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > Use Omega.
>
> We got \usepackage[utf]{inputenc} instead. Does omega have benefits
> over it?

I didn't know there's such input encoding (BTW, utf is a totally wrong
name for that, since there are several mutually incompatible UTF's, but
it's not our problem).

Googling gives me info on a utf8 inputenc, which is more understandable.
Is it the same you refer to?  It is a hack, one which takes a lot of TeX
memory and supports a very limited set of Unicode characters -
basically, enough to get the equivalent of latin1, but not much more.
Omega, on the other hand, is a Unicode-based variant of TeX.

> > > - Are you serious about using smiley faces or other special
> > >   unicode characters in identifiers?
> >
> > Consider using some appropriate normal form for matching identifiers?
>
> I don't think that's up to us, but up to the language in question..

Most languages that I am aware use a variation of the Unicode identifier
format, which AFAIK does not allow smileys in identifiers.  That's why I
assumed you were talking about some other class of identifiers that
you've come up with.  The recommendation is, BTW, to use NFC for
case-sensitive identifiers and NFKC for case-insensitive identifiers.

--
%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % address@hidden % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%

  Taiteellisen ohjelmoinnin ystävien seura Toys - Ohjelmointi on myös taidetta
                         http://www.cc.jyu.fi/yhd/toys/