gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Lava, coordsyscache

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Lava, coordsyscache
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:05:04 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> I just noticed an alarming thing:

> I still don't even understand the need for CoordsysCache, could you please
> explain it once again, mudyc?

Viewports a and b show the same canvas.
Let's say in a we have node a1 focused and in b we have node b1 focused.
If you like to move node a1, you need to know it's coordsys number.
Who has it? No one. So what we have when we would like to do fast
animation, other than the old vobscene? If the viewport a is main node we
know a lot of it so we can use this information. As Tuomas recommended,
I used parent's matching key as a key to save coordsystems in the class
which is under eyes now. By that key the coordsys number can be found from
others which was the thing to reach for.

> I know it must be annoying to have to explain
> it in so much detail but I think it's pretty important that I understand
> what it is and why, right?

Yes of course. To me this sounds more like normal developement cycle.
I have done things that way, we see it's awful way and do it better.
Now we have some history and we can learn from the mistakes done in there.

   -Matti