gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: What is our Wiki for? (WAS: reST/Docutils Wiki and Navidoc

From: Hermanni Hyytiälä
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: What is our Wiki for? (WAS: reST/Docutils Wiki and Navidoc)
Date: 29 Jul 2003 13:42:44 +0300

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 13:25, Tuomas Lukka wrote:

> > > Ahh, that's a good point... Do we want to allow wiki diagrams
> > > refer to ffdoc?
> >
> > Ditto (i.e., humppake's point partially obsoletes my previous
> > stametement ;).
> >
> > It would be nice, for instance,  that if we have a brief description of
> > a term (or similar) in wiki, then there would be a link(s) to ffdoc and
> > by following that/those link(s) a user would get more detailed/technical
> > explanation of the term (e.g. a design document, Javadoc...).
> >
> > In addition to other possible uses, I suggest that wiki would act as a
> > "starting point" for looking information related to our project. When I
> > joined to project last October, it would has been *very* nice if there
> > has been a "starting point" where to start look more information.
>
> Why would wiki make a good starting point?

1) Information categorization
We could categorize things under different categories with links (e.g.,
"Tutorials", "Terms", "Best practices", "Documentation",
"Tutorials/Fenfire project", "Tutorials/Subprojects", "Best
Practices/LibVob", "Best Practices/Design Patterns" "Best
Practices/Avoid these things", "Terms/Xanalogical model", "Terms/3D
programming" &c).

2) Familiar interface
People are able to use familiar interface for viewing information, i.e.,
their favourite web browser.

> I'd think we should use .rst for those things.

If .rst files can do categorization then it should be fine ;).

> For Wiki, the main use I see is "running commentary", i.e.
> "X is broken, you need to do Y right now to accomplish it" &c
> Anything permanent should probably be on the rst side.

Indeed. Wiki should *not* store anything permanent (i.e. official)
documents. As said, wiki would only act a starting point/quick ref place
where information is categorized with links to official documents for
more detailed (official information) information.

-Hermanni