h5md-user

[h5md-user] Species Data Type

From: Nicolas Höft
Subject: [h5md-user] Species Data Type
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:43:11 +0200

Hi,
I've started making a simulation involving 'real' atoms.
To distinguish the atom type, I use the particle species. From a simulator point of view the number type of the species makes perfectly sense. But when one has a lot of different atom type the H5MD species type (number) becomes very impractical from a users point of view because it is hard to remember (and see) what species was what Atom type.

A more useful identification in my case would be the short name of the Atom (e.g. H, Ar and so on). This would also be in line with the often used descriptions in mixtures of the particle types ("A", "B", .. ).

One solution to allow this kind of species identification is to drop the constraint ", and is of scalar integer data type".

Best regards,
Nicolas