h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Species Data Type

From: Nicolas Höft
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Species Data Type
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:16:20 +0200

Am 05.08.2013, 12:18 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl
<address@hidden>:

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for discussing your suggestion for H5MD :-)

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 11:43:11AM +0200, Nicolas Höft wrote:
I've started making a simulation involving 'real' atoms.
To distinguish the atom type, I use the particle species. From a
simulator point of view the number type of the species makes
perfectly sense. But  when one has a lot of different atom type the
H5MD species type (number) becomes very impractical from a users
point of view because it is hard to remember (and see) what species
was what Atom type.

A more useful identification in my case would be the short name of
the Atom (e.g. H, Ar and so on). This would also be in line with the
often used descriptions in mixtures of the particle types ("A", "B",
.. ).

One solution to allow this kind of species identification is to drop
the constraint ", and is of scalar integer data type".

The constraint is there for several reasons:
1. If you want "string", that is H, Ar, etc. that have several lengths, you need to know in advance the max length or use variable length datatype. Neither of
those solutions are practical.

Well, in the case of chemical elements, you'll never exceed 2 characters.

2. Possibly (this should be tested), using integers only would allow for better
data compression.
3. Using "A", "B", "C", etc. is not an interesting progress wrt 1,2,3,...
4. Numeric datatypes are, in general, easier to work with from a language
point-of-view. Also, it is much more likely that a numeric datatype matches the
actual implementation of the data in memory.

Yes, I have noted that, too. I know that from a simulator point of view
numbers make sense. But if you have ~20 atom types, numbers are really
very abstract. Still, I think it should also be more important to read it
  from a users point of view, not necessarily from the program.

Extensions of "species" could be discussed later on, however (after we settle on
a base format that will receive the version number 1.0).

Regards,

Pierre