h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Species Data Type

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Species Data Type
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:22:43 +0200

Hi!

Enum types indeed seem to be an excellent idea in the case of species. I wonder
whether they would not be useful in some other cases as well.
The boundary springs into mind. We could specify that 0 always means "no
boundary", 1 means "periodic", and when any other value is used, a
corresponding Enum datatype has to be defined.
This would avoid the strings-with-variable-lengths problem and still give the
flexibility to define new values without clash with future versions.

Olaf