h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:09:21 +0200

Am 08.07.2014, 11:27 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

Hi Konrad,

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 08:59:35AM +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
--On 7 juillet 2014 11:50:06 +0200 Pierre de Buyl
<address@hidden> wrote:

>and the ensuing discussion, I modified my proposal.
>
>1. a module "tuple", defining n-tuples
>2. a module "topology", similar to the previous proposal but made more
>precise.

A comment on naming:

1) The term "topology" is used in at least two very different
meanings in molecular simulations [(1) bond connectivity, (2)
universe topology], so it's perhaps better to avoid it in a
specification.

Right, I forgot your point about that. bond_connectivity, bonded_interactions, ?

2) Unless someone comes up with a definition that suits all
molecular simulation techniques (which I consider highly unlikely),
we should expect to have multiple modules that address the issue of
molecular structure and interactions, and not use a name that
suggests universality for any one of them.

Point 2 also suggests that any specific module should state its
intended field of application, with its limitations, which yours
currently doesn't.

The actual field of application is coarse-grained molecular models. In practice,
there should be a lot in common with atomistic force fields but I don't
currently use them.

So the name should reflect this? cg_connectivity cg_bonds
coarse_grained_connectivity coarse_grained_bonds ? That would be too specific.

>The idea is that "tuple" would be included somehow in the main
>specification so that it can serve as the basis to further functionality.

Yes, that's a good idea.

>I've put TODO items in each module:
>Tuples
>1. Provide a way link unambiguously to a particle group.

The name of each particle groups is unique, so we could just have a
"particle group" attribute in the tuple that contains the name of
the group.

That's fine for randomly placed tuple lists but in a structure like

/clever_name_for_connectivity/<group_name>/FENE

it would be redundant, a problem that we have succeeded in avoiding until now,
unless I am just being too optimistic with the state of H5MD :-)

Another solution would be: either be in a structured paths (like above) or have
the attribute "particles_group".

So, I need a name for a connectivity module for bonded interaction that applies to coarse-grained molecular models but is likely to also apply to atomistic
force fields. Suggestions welcome :-)

Pierre

What about "connectivity"? This is what the module contains: relations/connections (of whatever kind) between particles.

Let's keep the module simple and generic and then it should serve both purposes, CG and atomistic. If more specific definitions are needed, they could go either to another module or become a variant of the base module (like "system" for the "units" module).

Felix