h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:04:27 +0200

Am 10.07.2014, 08:39 Uhr, schrieb Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden>:

Felix Höfling writes:

 > From Olaf (whom I consider an expert in PDB) I got the information
 > that PDB only stores connections, no bond types.

The PDB file format only stores connections. The PDB database also
stores bond types, and makes them available in the mmCIF and PDBML
files. The bond types are 'sing', 'doub', 'trip', 'quad', and 'arom',
which all make sense only at the atomic scale.

The PDB file format is not a good reference. It's completely outdated
and insufficient. Even the PDB doesn't want it any more.

Konrad.

What I understand is that PDB is still the prevailing format for protein data, but nobody likes it. Does the PDB offer alternatives yet?

I wasn't aware that the PDB files come with a bundle of complementary file formats. This information, of course, should be combined in a single H5MD file. If other short-comings of PDB could be fixed on the way this would be great. I think it is a worthwile goal for H5MD to potentially become a standard container for protein data.

To be realistic, we need somebody from the protein community to get excited about H5MD and to join ...

Felix