h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Tuples and topology, the return
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:06:50 +0200

--On 14 juillet 2014 11:37:29 +0200 Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden> wrote:

An mmCIF file contains everything. And H5MD cannot handle any of the
information in a PDB entry. There is no overlap at the current stage
of H5MD.

There is. Storing properly [1] the position data is already a nice
feature of H5MD.

But H5MD can't store what the positions mean. I don't think any PDB client would be happy to have just a bunch of positions. At the very least, you need the chemical element and the occupancy, then you have at least a useable crystallographic model. Biologists still wouldn't care.

In addition the positions, we are also able to store
successive sets of positions (an abuse that is sometimes made for PDB),
the species of the particles.

Right, that's where H5MD beats the PDB format (and also mmCIF) - but the PDB doesn't care about that. They have no time-dependent data.

Konrad.