Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms

From: Edgar
Subject: Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 09:58:20 +0200

Dear Khurram,

dear Luis,

>What if we use Cedric's idea and use the "extra info" section

>of each disease to add its approximate synonyms?

In Austria the Ministry of Health provides a

free database „SYSTEMDATEN2016.mdb“.

Within this database there is a table „ICD10_TH“ which consists

of 74.045 datasets with ICD-Code and „official“ synonyms.

See http://www.bmg.gv.at/cms/home/attachments/0/5/7/CH1166/CMS1128343984496/stammdaten_2016_sp1.zip

>I think these approximate synonyms are also defined in ICD

>against every disease! (I may be totally wrong!).

You are nearly right! In Austria there are 13.153 ICD-10 codes.

Of those 13.153 codes there are 7.958 codes with one or more synonyms.

>Once the synonyms are there in "extra info" column,

>we can add this column to extended search spectrum for making it searchable.

C79.8 has the maximum with 591 synonyms. Only one „extra info“ per disease would not work then.

>>> The frequency of this issue is reasonably high.

Yes, I agree.

>>>Can anybody suggest
>>> on how to resolve this issue? Is there anyway that we can attach all
> >>the "approximate synonyms" of every disease classified in the ICD in
> >>GNU Health?
I think there should be an extra table, like ICD10_TH (TH stands for thesaurus).

>>Creating a synonym structure, although possible, will be hard to
>>maintain, and to match against all the different coding systems (ICD9,
>>SNOMED, ... ).

> >Same is the case with Signs and Symptoms (and probably the
> >Procedures).
Yes, there should be extra tables for thesauruses for that too.

> >Moreover, we are unable to search for the diseases using the Code.
>>We can extend the search spectrum to also look up for the disease code.
It would be great to be able search for code, disease name and synonym.

All the best

Edgar