Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:25:07 +0200

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Dan Douglas <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 09:35:28 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:26:59AM -0600, Dan Douglas wrote:
> > You can't. nonlocal positional parameters are inacceessable.
> parameters.  (I gave two example input arrays.)  Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, misinterpreted.

But for arrays, it's almost worse!

This is probably because bash lacks an easy way to pass an array by reference to a function.

This feature is a something people rather often ask for on IRC. Usually they are implementing libraries for array manipulation (not sure if they actually use these in the real world though)