Re: [Help-bash] set time

From: readmax
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] set time
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 07:25:22 +0000

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Max,

You have confused us! Several of us have been wondering what you mean
when you say "command to shift time".

* Do you mean set the system clock?

* Or do you mean calculate the time?

* Or do you mean run some other command which will think it is running
at a different time?

For example when I read "shift time" I immediately thought of
libfaketime which

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant the system clock. What `date -s ...' does, but without specifying the target time but instead specifying the (negative or positive) offset interval (i.e., the number of seconds/minutes/hours by which I want the clock to be offset).

Alternatively, if bash only provides an "indirect" method (which still involves reading current time, then calculating target time, then setting new time)), I would need a way to read how many (milli)seconds were lost while doing it (on a very slow virtual machine) and then I'll find a way to take that into account by myself.