Re: [Help-bash] bash to csh converter?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] bash to csh converter?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:12:06 -0600

Mun wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Are you sure you want to go that direction and not the other way?
> > Please, please say that it is the other way around.
>
> I write my shell scripts in Bash; but many folks at work use a csh
> env.

Working in tcsh and calling #!/bin/bash scripts (or #!/usr/bin/awk or
whatever) is okay.  There isn't any problems doing that.

> > Note that scripts can always use #!/bin/bash to select the
> > interpreter it doesn't make sense to convert those scripts to
> > #!/bin/csh.
>
> I had already tried that but ran into issue.

What issues?  It works okay for everyone else.

> > I can only assume that you are working in a tcsh prompt and are
> > sourcing files and are trying to convert some bash to something that
> > can be sourced in the csh .login file.  Am I close?
>
> That's pretty close; except I work in the Bash world.  Many of my peers
> do not, but they require the functionality of the Bash scripts.

Mixed environments such as this are very common.  It is not unusual at
all.  And this works okay for everyone.

Please say what problems you are having.  It may be obvious to you
looking at your computer screen but for us reading your messages we
only know what you tell us.  If you don't tell us then we can only
guess in the dark.

Bob