Re: [Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory

From: Lawrence Velázquez
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:02:52 -0400

> On Jul 2, 2022, at 3:05 PM, Akbarkhon Variskhanov
> <akbarkhon.variskhanov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard Version 3.0, section 3.8.2. Requirements states:
>> If an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
>> placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
>> directory").
>
> I think this is a reasonable suggestion/recommendation. Instead of
> polluting the user's home directory, placing all related files in a
> single dot subdirectory makes a lot of sense.

Why is "to reduce the number of files in $HOME" always presented
as a self-evident justification for this?

> Perhaps there is some historical background to why they're all
> scattered in ~, but the aforementioned practice should at least be
> considered for adoption.

This suggestion has been made before, as has a similar one involving
the XDG spec; neither has found any traction.  See these threads
(there may be others, but I didn't search very hard):

(split thread)
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-05/msg00024.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-11/msg00036.html

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-06/msg00003.html