Re: [Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory

From: Lawrence Velázquez
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 11:56:48 -0400

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022, at 7:37 AM, Akbarkhon Variskhanov wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 1:02 AM Lawrence Velázquez <vq@larryv.me> wrote:
>>
>> Why is "to reduce the number of files in $HOME" always presented
>> as a self-evident justification for this?
>
> That's precisely it.

"Have fewer files" is not inherently a reason to do anything.

> FHS talks about "user consent":
>> It is recommended that, apart from autosave and lock files, programs should
>> refrain
>> from creating non dot files or directories in a home directory without user
>> consent.

That excerpt is explicitly about "non dot files or directories",
so it doesn't apply to bash.  Even if you want to hand-wave that
away with an appeal to the "spirit" of the recommendation or whatever,
bash does not (to my knowledge) create *any* files or directories
in $HOME, other than the default .bash_history.  The user (or system)
must create .bash_profile and .bashrc on their own.

>> This suggestion has been made before, as has a similar one involving
>> the XDG spec; neither has found any traction.  See these threads
>> (there may be others, but I didn't search very hard):
>
> Thanks for providing links. There's already a couple of such threads
> that have come up in the last year or so. That suggests it's at least
> gaining some traction.

No, it suggests that some users want it, which no one disputes.
I am talking about traction with Chet, the bash maintainer, which
is all that actually matters.

--
vq