[Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory

From: Akbarkhon Variskhanov
Subject: [Suggestion] Relocate user startup files to their own subdirectory
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 00:05:49 +0500

Hi.

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard Version 3.0, section 3.8.2. Requirements states:
> If an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
> placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
> directory").

I think this is a reasonable suggestion/recommendation. Instead of
polluting the user's home directory, placing all related files in a
single dot subdirectory makes a lot of sense. Perhaps there is some
historical background to why they're all scattered in ~, but the
aforementioned practice should at least be considered for adoption.

Thanks.

Regards,
Akbar.