Re: find file changes

From: Mark . Burgess
Subject: Re: find file changes
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:17:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On 10 Oct, Hermann Biller wrote:
> Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
>>
>> On  9 Oct, Tony wrote:
>> >
>> > Conseptually I'd like to see something like tripwire or aide like
>> > functionality integrated w/ cfengine.
>> >
>> > So my cfengine.conf would contain something like
>> >
>> > files:
>> > AllMachines.FileMonitor::
>> > /etc/TIMEZONE              L
>> > /etc/aliases               L
>> > /etc/auto_master   L
>> > /etc/bootparams    L
>> > /etc/bootptab              L
>> > /etc/datemsk               L
>> > /usr/bin                R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/include            R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/lib                R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/libdata            R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/libexec            R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/local/bin          R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/local/etc          L
>> > /usr/local/lib          R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/local/libexec      R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> > /usr/local/sbin         R-tiger-rmd160-sha1
>> >
>> > where L is an aide is a predefined macro for things about the file to
>> > check for.
>> >

>> I don't reall understand why folks have not understood that this
>> is all pretty much possible today and has been for some time.
>> The specific features of tripwire which do not resemble cfengine's
>> way if working are mainly omitted because I strongly feel that tripwire's
>> approach is wrong.
>>
>> Tripwire is about binding people's time by just sending warnings.
>> Cfengine is about saving time by keeping things right. I will
>> never allow that to change. If cfengine really is missing something
>> important (i.e. not just something traditional) then I will
>> add it, but I do not add features just because other well known
>> software has them. There has to be a defensible reason.
>>

> hmm... i just try to find a solution for possible situations:
>
> i'ld like to have something like a tripwire functionality in combination with
> a configuration engine.
> the needs are:
> - some of the systems needs a guarantee not to be changed without a formal
> change request
> - we want to know changes of configuration files. there might be an intruder
> - cfengine installed in an other context lead to the following problem:
>   the sun staff had installed disksuite on one of the machines. their changes
> has been
>   overwritten automatically by cfengine. it needed 2 days to resolve the
> consequences.

This is not cfengine's fault, it was the sunstaff's for not checking the policy
in advance!

> - also we maintain systems in different responsability. to some of the systems
>   users have root access. for those system we want to be informed about the
> change.
>
> - sometimes we make manual changes for evaluation. the duty system
> administrator should
>   be aware of this. (and define the duration)
>

> so my proposal for an automated configuration will be:
> - watch the systems for alien changes
> - scripts to consolidate should be performed manually on request (cfagent
> -DBaseConfig)
>
> this does not follow the paradigmas of cfengine by 100%.

It certainly does. You have not mentioned a single thing which is
not easily achievable now. I think it's back to the documentation
for you!! And let's try to identify how it can be simplified to get
going for start users.

Mark

Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark