Re: dynamis class creation

From: Bob Van Cleef
Subject: Re: dynamis class creation
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:35:17 -0700 (PDT)

On 15 Jul 2002, Jacob Lee wrote:

> On my systems, redhat_7 and redhat_7_1 (or redhat_7_0, etc.) are both
> defined as hard classes. Check for that. If it does turn out that you
> need to define a class based on the output of a shell script,
> investigate the cfengine module capabilities:

Sigh... I guess I need to upgrade to 2.x IFF it will report OS level
on the 6.x systems.  What I have now works, except for this one function,
which does appear to exist in 2.x either.  I hate upgrading working
systems. /sigh.

> http://www.cfengine.org/modules/

That seems to be a rather complex way to achieve a simple option.

I am actually surprised that there appears to be no way to do this.

I have a couple of other things where being able to define a class
on the fly would have dramatically cut the number of lines in the
cfengine configuration script.

Bob

> On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 14:02, Bob Van Cleef wrote:
> >
> > This has got to be an FAQ, but I can't find it anywhere.
> >
> > I want to define a custom class based on the level of OS.  So,
> > I wrote a simple little script that checks /etc/redhat-release
> > and returns rh60 for red hat 6.0 and rh6.2 for red hat 6.2
> > systems, etc.  Now, the question is, "How to use that script to
> > define a corresponding class?
> >
> > It appears that can create a separate line for each class:
> >     rh60 = ( "script that returns non-null only on 6.0 system" )
> >         rh62 = ( "script that returns non-null only on 6.2 system" )
> > which seems counter intuitive.
> >
> > but there does not appear to be a method for having a script
> > that returns the name of the class that you want to define.
> >
> >     define = ( "script returns name of class that is defined )
> >
> > There are enough differences between various versions of Red Hat that
> > this has become critical.  (Three different "amd" configuration files
> > for one example.)  The standard classes include the kernel level, but
> > not the OS distribution level.

Bob Van Cleef, System Administrator              (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity, Inc.                             FAX (408) 734-8136
376 Martin Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050  vancleef@microunity.com