Re: setting class based on file change

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: setting class based on file change
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:57:28 +1100

Quoting "Luke A. Kanies" <luke@madstop.com>:

> Incidentally, this is also exactly the type of thing that should be
> changed.  This ssh config file should work for nearly everyone who uses
> ssh.  Or at least, it could be modified to do so.  In fact, I would modify
> it to use variables set in a different file.  For instance:

That's a good idea, I might use it.

I plan to vet my configs for passwords and confidential information and put them
up on the web soon, I'll post the address when that happens.

As an aside, I am planning evil thoughts using a library I am writing to do
in-place edits of configuration files without disrupting human-made changes, and
making a new "config" section of cfengine, that would take most of the pain and
tedium out of using editfiles for the same purpose; I spent most of yesterday
writing an idempotent cfengine input for configuring /etc/my.cnf -- ini-style
config file (with [section] parts) and horribly inconsistent options, and I'd
really like to condense it so that it's maintainable ;-)  I'm staying well away
from any attempt to editfile an apache config file, that's more pain than I can
handle -- my library will be able to parse various config files and edit them
without disturbing comments and so forth, all behind a simple API.  I might have
my implementation finished and a patch to cfengine, by June, given current work
contstraints...

However, in the meantime making all the config options that are set actual
cfengine variables, and hiding the grunt work in editfiles later in the script,
will be a good step to easily modifying config files.  Thanks for the idea.

Jamie