Re: setting class based on file change

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: setting class based on file change
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:08:07 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

> Yeah, this is something I'm definitely interested in doing in the future;
> creating all files from scratch, rather than just making piecemeal
> changes.  It's just a big transition to start with.

Hmmm, that may not be the case as much as I thought...

> Incidentally, this is also exactly the type of thing that should be
> changed.  This ssh config file should work for nearly everyone who uses
> ssh.  Or at least, it could be modified to do so.  In fact, I would modify
> it to use variables set in a different file.  For instance:
[SNIP]

Just as a quick test, I wrote a quick perl script to parse the existing
sshd_config script and create just like I was talking about.  It just rips
through the sshd config file, splits it on space, and then fills in a
template based on the var/value pairs.

Maybe I'll just start doing that; developing a series of parsers, so that
I can easily turn any (or at least, most) config files into abstracting
cfengine configs, and then depend on the parsing script to come up with
the correct input and output formats to generate the cfengine file.

It's inefficient in a lot of ways, and the resulting cfengine code is
pretty ugly because you have to switch from control to groups to files or
whatever, but it should work...

Hmmm.

--
A person's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one
had as a child, at play.                        --Friedrich Nietzsche