Re: cfservd as a true daemon running under inetd control

From: Nate Campi
Subject: Re: cfservd as a true daemon running under inetd control
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 07:21:15 -0700

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:04:02AM +0100, Garrett, Matt M SITI-ITDIEEE wrote:
> Folks
>
> Is it possible to make the cfservd program run under control of inetd
> Just like any other true tcp daemon e.g ftpd
>
> This would get around the problem of having different start / stop scripts
> for different types of systems e.g HP-UX / Solaris

I run it under daemontools, so it is controlled via the same interface
on all my platforms. I run many daemons this way for the consistency
alone. <URL:http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html>

> The other problem it would solve is if a client has problems e.g run's out of
> swap space
> the kernel tries to kill off process that are not been used.

supervise will restart cfservd if it dies. Mine does die inexplicably
from time to time, but it has little effect on production since it's
started again within 5 seconds.

Put this in /service/cfservd/run:

 #!/bin/sh
 exec 2>&1
 exec /usr/local/sbin/cfservd -F

I'd run it with logging enabled too, /service/cfservd/log/run:

 #!/bin/sh
 exec setuidgid nobody multilog t ./main

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#runlog>
--