Bogus file content on copies

From: Ferguson, Steve
Subject: Bogus file content on copies
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:28:53 -0400

Now that I'm working with a sufficiently large number of machines in
cfengine, I'm noticing some occasional odd failures.  The one I'm seeing
most frequently is bogus file content when a file is copied.  Here's an
example:

root@myhost:inputs# more cfservd.conf
t 2048BAD: Host authentication failed. Did you forget the domain name?

What causes this to happen and how can I prevent it?  If there's a failure
condition, I'd expect the previous file not to get replaced, but in this
case the old file is getting replaced with content like that shown above.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Ferguson