New packages: feature

From: Allen Bettilyon
Subject: New packages: feature
Date: 11 Nov 2003 12:28:19 -0700

Hello all,

So, I've been reading about the new packages: feature in cf, and have a
few questions/suggestion.

Would it be possible to define a general purpose install command?  It
seems rather tedious to define every rpm as follows:

packages:

  some_package  elsedefine=needs_some_package
  some_package2 elsedefine=needs_some_package2

shellcommands:
  needs_some_package::
        "/sbin/apt-get install some_package"

  needs_some_package2::
        "/sbin/apt-get install some_package2"

Perhaps a global install_package command where the name of the package
gets passed to the command?  This would work nicely for the currently
used package management systems such as apt or yum.  I envision
something like:

packages:

 class::

   pkgmgr = ( rpm )
   DefaultInstallCommand = ( /sbin/apt-get install )
   DefaultAction = ( install )

   package1
   package2
   packageN