Re: Bootstrapping

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:08:01 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> The problem is that cfservd only rereads the file if the file changes...
> it does not know when LDAP content changes....
>
> This is a weakness of not having all the info in the file.
> CFengine cannot read ldap for every file it transfers, so there
> has to be some way of knowing when to reread the data ...
> any suggestions?

This is a relatively well-characterised problem in the database world, I
believe; it's just a problem of caching.  I think a cache of maybe 60
seconds would even be sufficient for LDAP, since it can handle reads so
well -- you're unlikely to hammer it.

Obviously, LDAP support within cfengine is no small proposition.  You have
to write all of the routines and provide the configuration capabilities,
plus SSL stuff, and...

I would consider submitting that functionality (and I might yet) but I'm
so not a good C coder that I'm afraid it would take me a heckuva long
time, and any C I write WRT to LDAP is going to be making the LDAP/ruby
library better.

Luke

--
It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it
happens.  -- Woody Allen