Re: Getting $(allclasses) into a shellcommand

From: Erik Williamson
Subject: Re: Getting $(allclasses) into a shellcommand
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:11:43 -0600

I would set up a yum repository on the server for just those packages - even if is is a directory of symlinks to the actual packages. In your shellcommands, you would then say:

'yum -c /path/to/special/yum.conf install \*'

This is what I do for all the 3rd party packages we use.

Hope this helps!
e.

Chip Seraphine wrote:
I have some truly enormous $(allclasses) strings as a result of using cfengine to maintain my RPM distributions. (If you define one 15-to-25 character class for every RPM you need installed, and you need a few hundred RPMs right after a clean kickstart....)

Anyway, I am having issues passing these large lists of classes into the perl script that does the actual RPM installation. Mark enlarged a buffer somewheres when I had this problem earlier, but said buffer has been outgrown... I'd like to find a Proper Solution to this.

What is a better way than "/some/command $(allclasses)" for doing this sort of thing? Is there some kind of iterator-type trick anybody knows?

--
e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
 system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary