Re: Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine

From: Christian Pearce
Subject: Re: Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:21:40 -0400

I just read the INSTALL.  There is a lot to digest.  I want to take some
time this afternoon and play with it.  My initial reaction is that this
is very complex and a little overwhelming to a new reader.  But I think
that could be improved by having a better overview.  Let's face it
explaining this stuff is tough. (Or maybe it is to early in the
morning)  That was offered as a suggestion and not a harsh criticism.
Here are some other thoughts.

1. Ruby? Ugh (Just kidding, I need an excuse to learn it)
2. module:nagios in subversion is not a good filename, I can't click on
it without getting "module is not a registered protocol.
3. Why do you push the a remote.cfg out to the nagios clients.  Is this
for people who don't use Cfengine?
4. I am not certain of the integration of Cfengine (I need to reread
INSTALL)
6. Can we setup a mailing list? I don't think it would be appropriate to
hash out problems about naginator?
7. This opens up an opportunity to start discussing the idea of a
Cfengine Module Repository. What we need is a set of guidelines for
writing modules.  This would help with plugging in any module and
getting it to work in any Cfengine environment.  Provided the Cfengine
implementor implemented the guidelines correctly.  I am not certain if
this is possible.  But think of the merit?  We can start sharing the
wealth of Cfengine knowledge beyond just talking about it.  This would
provide great leverage.  This is the first project I have seen that
would tap into the possibility
8. I want to help.

--
Christian Pearce